Friday, June 18, 2010

Runaways and Conan

So, it's about 1 AM here and I've just finished the first dozen or so issues of Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways and Kurt Busiek's Conan. I'm loving both of them in their oh so different ways.

First off, Runaways is just sublime in how it works as a satirical take on the Marvel universe, while at the same time worshiping it. All the characters are witty and heartfelt and even the villains don't come off as one note jerks. I know I'm late to the party, but I know there are still people yet to discover this great series and I believe that it truly has something for everyone.

Which can't be said of Conan, however I wouldn't have it any other way. It's bloody and misogynistic in exactly the way a Conan comic should be. Filled with all the ancient dialect that would make Crom proud and the epic battles that make him even prouder, it's just one big ass-whupping after another. Coming from someone who worships Robert E. Howard and despises the pedestrian film and TV adaptations, these come highly recommended for anyone who loves big swords and gory battles.

Stay tuned for some film reviews coming up, I've got a backlog of probably about twenty to thirty films sitting here waiting to be judged. Peace out, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment